Sunday, February 19, 2012

Same recipe, different place



It has become tradition that I leave my daughter (Jessica) with a homecooked meal whenever I visit. It was my intention to make "Smoky Mushroom Mac n' Cheese" for her this weekend, but she opted out. So, I stopped on the way home from Abilene to purchase the ingredients for myself. Two words sum it up... HER LOSS

I've attempted traditional mac 'n cheese a few times, and each yielded poor results. However, this version was fantastic!! I enjoyed the dish with some roasted asparagus and a glass of Pinot Noir. If you want to give this recipe a whirl, preparation is key. Quite a bit of chopping is involved, so take care of that first and you'll enjoy the rest of the ride.

Smoky Mushroom Mac n' Cheese
   1 lb. campanelle pasta (I could not find this variety, so I settled for farfalle)
   2 tbls butter
   1 tbls olive oil
   1/2 cup diced shallots
   1 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced (I used a 1/2 lb. each of brown, button, and baby bella mushrooms)
   1 tbls fresh thyme, chopped
   2 cloves garlic, minced
   3 tbls flour
   3 cups 2% milk
   7 oz. smoked gouda, shredded
   3 oz. gouda, shredded
   salt & pepper
  
1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Cook pasta about 2 minutes less than package directions; drain & set aside.
3. In large saucepan, heat 1 tbls. of butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots; cook 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and thyme; cook 7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes.
4. Add remaining 1 tbls. of butter to saucepan. Once melted, add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Pour in milk and continue stirring until it comes to a boil. Simmer for 3 minutes until thickened.
5. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Mix together with cooked pasta.
6. Pour mixture into an ungreased 13x9x2 baking dish. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment