Sunday, August 19, 2012

Brussel Sprouts a la Avalon Grille

On July 21st, Bill and I made the trek to Catalina Island. We lunched at Avalon Grille, which was absolutely fabulous. If you live in the area, I'd recommend you set aside an afternoon to give it a try. We had their "Crispy Brussel Sprouts" as our appetizer. I had eaten brussel sprouts before and absolutely despised them, but it had been many years and I felt they were worthy of another try. Boy, I'm glad I did! They were so good I searched for the recipe online and made them at home along side some salmon and cous cous. The result was as good as the original.


Ingredients (note: some quantities were not provided on the original recipe, so just add how much you'd prefer):
  • 1 pound brussel sprouts
  • 1 tbsp pancetta, diced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • raw almonds, roughly chopped
  • dried cranberries
  • 1 tbsp honey mustard dressing
  • parmesan cheese
Directions:
  • Cut the brussel sprouts in half; toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside while you continue to the next step.
  • Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in saute pan and cook the pancetta.
  • Add the sprouts to the pan and saute until slightly crisp.
  • Add the almonds and cranberries and saute for 1 minute.
  • Remove from heat. Add the honey mustard dressing and toss.
  • Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!

~ Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. I never had brussel sprouts growing up as my mom and dad hated them, but having made roasted ones myself as an adult, I love them! Try roasting them, cut in half and tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper at 375 for 20-30 minutes uncovered. They get crispy and tasty so good.

    ReplyDelete