Sunday, March 25, 2012

Anyone who knows me knows that I love flank steak (I'm making you one on Thursday, Bill and Jennifer.  Not this one, another one.  I'm mixing it up.  I'm versatile that way.).

It's one of the most consistent cuts of meat in my opinion, so I find that it's hard to screw up.  I marinate the heck out of it and grill it most of the time.  In the future I'll share my mom's famous flank steak recipe, but this time, I'm sharing a new recipe I just tried from Martha Stewart.

Soy Marinated Flank Steak

BEHOLD THE BEEF!!!



Now if you are watching your sodium intake this likely isn't for you, but holy cow (heh) this business is delicious.

Because I can't leave well enough alone, here is what I changed:

1) Martha marinates for 1-2 hours.  Is she high? No self-respecting person marinates less than overnight.

2) She uses cider vinegar.  I didn't have any so I used white wine vinegar.  Vinegar, for the most part is vinegar.  So mix it up and use what you have.  Still tastes fantastic.

3) She reduces the marinade on the stove and brushes it on the meat while grilling.  It's so unnecessary to dirty another pan to do this when you marinate overnight.  Did I mention no self-respecting... Oh yeah.  I did.

4) The second time I made it, I only had a 1/2 cup of soy sauce on hand.  It worked just fine.  I just cut back a bit on the other ingredients.  I didn't exactly cut the recipe in half, because that would be too easy and I'm a rebellious cook.   I did about 2/3 of the other ingredients and 1/2 the soy sauce.  Just be sure to turn the meat while its marinating if you do this because it might not be enough liquid to cover.

Please excuse me, while I raid the leftovers...

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing Ceci!! Can't wait to try it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually stay away from the grill, but I'm going to give this recipe a try. The weather is warming up here in S. Texas and this steak looks yummy. I'll let you know how it turns out!
    - Jennifer

    ReplyDelete